Friday, September 5, 2014

Buy a House, Sell a Home

When Gabriel was nearing 3, aka the start of pre-school, his father and I actively started searching to buy a house. We had a specific suburb in mind, a smaller community with diversity and family friendly events. I had lived there from the age of 13 until I went to Mount Union College, with a brief return after graduation.

The prospect of owning a home made me feel like a responsible adult. The majority of my family was in the area and Gabriel would attend the Catholic grade school. It was the same Catholic grade school my brother attended from 4th grade through 8th grade. I had known since pregnant, Gabriel would attend this school. Further, I had started my graduate program at Baldwin Wallace College and was looking forward to a closer drive home after evening class.

After spending what seemed like months (in actuality probably a few weeks) and looking at hundreds (alright about 25) houses, we were frustrated. Then my mom saw a house for sale while walking. It was 3 blocks from her. We had our realtor make an appointment despite this proximity.

From the moment we stepped inside the house, it felt like ours. I went left and Gabriel's father went forward, we later came together in the t-shaped hallway, each having viewed opposite parts of the home, and said to one another "this is the one".

We moved in about two months later. We had bought a house!

What I did not realize, is how quickly the house would become a home. Quickly, memories were made between the walls. Love and joy would radiate throughout the foundation, the walls would absorb the pain and heartaches of life.

We focused on the area to be closer to family. Just like I had grown up riding my bike or walking the several blocks to my grandma's, Gabriel in turn would frequent my mom and stepfather's to swim or play basketball. It became a meeting place for him and his cousins. I became thankful for the proximity we once questioned.

Proximity is changing. We are moving.

After 10 years in HR, I have landed my dream position with my dream company, a fabulous opportunity, which will lead to further fabulous opportunities with my continued hard work.

We are moving to Central Illinois. I leave in less than 48 hours.

I haven't packed. I don't know where to start. How does one pack to leave months ahead of their family and go to the temporary housing of a hotel? I am leaving my home, I am leaving my family. I am leaving proximity.

As I look at the walls of my home, years of memories stream through my mind and vivid flashbacks occur as if I am toggling between the Lifetime and Hallmark channels.

Seven in a half years ago, we bought a house. In less than 48 hours, I will leave a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment